How to cook our Pastries:
To ensure that you get the best from your homemade pastry please follow these easy steps.
They look long and complicated but we promise they’re really easy. And really work.
1. Defrost the pastry fully (thaw for about 3 hours in room temperature or in your fridge overnight) remove from fridge 45 minutes before unrolling to ensure it doesn’t crack.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C for fan assisted oven), then grease your tin including all the grooves with a little butter.
3. Unroll your pastry and line your tin by turning the tin upside down on top of the pastry then flipping it over so the pastry sits on top. Press the pastry into the corners and grooves, we like to use a bit of left-over pastry wrapped in cling film to press it well into the grooves.
4. Using your rolling pin roll over the top to cut any excess pastry.
5. Prick all over with a fork to allow any steam to escape to ensure a crispy base.
6. Crumple up the baking paper supplied then open it up again placing it over the pastry and fill with baking beans (or rice) then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
7. Bake the pastry for 12 minutes then remove the greaseproof paper and the baking beans and pop it back in the oven for 5 minutes until the base is dry to touch and slightly golden.
8. Cool before adding your filling.
Please note that we have made the pastry round to fit a standard size large tart tin 23-29cm which feeds 6-8 people. To ensure that your tarts are the right size we have made the pastry rounds 33cm wide to fit your tart tin at the base and sides.
Three tips from The Three Tarts:
- After trimming the pastry, push the sides slightly up with your fingers so it sits just above the tin edge to allow room for slight shrinkage.
- This pastry is a homemade product so expect cracks which ensures a deliciously crumbly texture, don’t worry you can just patch it up or roll it to flatten.
- We recommend using a loose bottom tart tin and when your tart is cool transfer it to a serving plate by placing the tart tin over a can to release the side of the tin.
How to cook our Fillings:
Our fillings are perfect to mix and match with our pastries.
Defrost fully (preferably overnight), pour into your cooked pastry case of choice and bake at 180°C.
Please note that cooking times vary for each flavour filling, within the final 10 minutes check the tart is golden and just set:
Ham Hock and Leek Filling - bake for 30-40 minutes.
Roast Vegetable and Ricotta Filling - bake for 35-45 minutes.
Blueberry and Almond Filling - bake for 35-45 minutes
Chocolate Fondant Filling - bake for 20-25 minutes.
It would be a shame for your pastry and fillings not to taste as good as they could. So please make sure you:
Defrost it fully before use.
Once defrosted keep it refrigerated and cook it within three days.